Wednesday, August 24, 2005

24 August Orcalab reports:

08:34 PDT No orcas present.
Orcalaive Overnight: We believe the I15s and the A30s slipped off to the east. It has been quiet since 12:30am.

10:07 PDT No calls but orcas nearby
The I15s have returned from a short trip to the east & are passing the rubbing beaches, heading west. They are silent, for the moment.

12:18 PDT No calls but orcas nearby
The I15s may have split into two groups; one closer to the vancouver Island shore and the other just off the Sophias. Both are moving west very slowly, resting.

13:40 PDT No calls but orcas nearby
With I41 in the lead a small group of the I15s are continuing west up from the eastern end of Hanson Island. 5 others are following. The I15s on the vacouver island shore are almost to Blinkhorn. There are energetic dolphins and porpoise everywhere.

14:30 PDT Distant calls audible.
The A30s have come from the east and are passing Robson Bight. The I15s possibly responded to their calls by beginning to turn. the group by Blinkhorn is angling outward while the other group on the hanson side is now reaching the western end of Hanson.

15:16 PDT No calls but orcas nearby
The I15s completed their turn and are east bound. The A30s (also silent) are still east of CP.

19:13 PDT Distant calls audible.
There was a brief set of vocals, mostly from the I15s along with a few from the A30s as well. The sleepy whales are now off the Reserve not really going in any one direction. lots of dolphins trying to wake them up though.

19:50 PDT Orcas rubbing on the shore bottom.
The whales are at the beaches.

20:49 PDT Superb sounds!!
The I15s are moving into Blackney Pass and the A30s are westbound from the Bight.

22:33 PDT Distant calls audible.
We are listening to the A330s again in the strait. The I15s travelled north through Blackney & faded off towards the west.

No comments: