Thursday, August 25, 2005

25 August Orcalab reports:

07:00 PDT Orcas near mics.
Orcalive Over night: Good morning everyone! The i15s made it back to the Strait and sound like they are now eastbound near to the Reserve. The A30s stayed in the Strait and we could hear them every so often through the early hours.

07:34 PDT Orcas rubbing on the shore bottom.
The whales are at the beaches. ch.B

08:31 PDT No calls but orcas nearby
It lokks as if the I15s have gone back to the west after their lovely rub.

08:36 PDT No calls but orcas nearby
It looks like another great I15s rub is over. We think they've headed back to the west, so there's a good chance we'll hear them again before long.

09:50 PDT Distant calls audible.
The whales are westbound with the ebb tide. Lots of boat noise.

13:15 PDT No calls but orcas nearby
The Tuan, Seasmoke Charters from Alert Bay repoorts: The I15s went up to the Blinkhorn area, formed a resting line and then turned back to the east. They are about 200 metres from shore and now about 1 mile east of Blinkhorn.

13:58 PDT Orcas (may be) approaching cameras.
If the I15s continue to cross the entrance of Blackney Pass they will come near to CP. This is only part of the group. I41 is mid strait by himself and there is another group (I15s as well) still on the Vancouver Island shore at Kaikash Creek opposite CP. This is similar to the split yesterday.

16:03 PDT Orcas rubbing on the shore bottom.
The I15s are rubbing.

17:08 PDT No calls but orcas nearby
The I15s went to the east a bit after their rub and then turned and are now west bound passing the beaches as they go.

17:47 PDT Superb sounds!!
The I15s are back at critical Point in the Reserve.

19:01 PDT No calls but orcas nearby
The I15s are following both shores west again. I41 and others are on the vancouver Island side while I43 and about 6 others are on the Cracroft side. The Gikumi (Stubbs Island Whale Watching) reports that I41 is keeping pace with the others. They are all still only coming up to the Izumi area (1/2 between the Bight and Kaikash Creek.

19:34 PDT Distant calls audible.
We just started to hear the A36s in Blackfish Sound. The I15s continue in the Strait.

21:26 PDT Multiple pod calls audible.
The A36s have begun to travel to Blackney Pass. The I15s are still in the Strait.

23:31 PDT Distant calls audible.
The a36s made it to the Strait and are now east bound toward the Reserve. We think the I15s may have never come very far west. We lost track of them acoustically around 8:30pm. Perhaps they slipped back to the east.

No comments: